Wednesday 28 February 2007

When is Spring Not Spring?


This morning my 7-year old daughter told me that spring starts tomorrow. Is that so? Is March 1st the beginning of spring?

In the UK we regard spring as having arrived when we see a crocus or two in the garden and we can be sure that the winter weather is gone.

In Estonia it appears to be a state of mind that screams, "snow, please go away," as if merely wishing for spring will magically usher the season in. The entire country is still blanketed in the white stuff and yesterday it snowed steadily all day.

The reality I think is that by declaring spring to have arrived whilst the snow still lies thick is to stick two fingers up to the weather gods and declare, "Do your worst! We shall not be moved!"

I do not share this opinion and earnestly pray for warmer climes to relieve my aching knees, toes and fingers.

And what will my daughter be doing at school on this, the last day before spring? Why, she will be going cross-country skiing of course - one of the many spring sports on offer in Tallinn.

Of course there are others less fortunate. I once heard the climate of Winnipeg described as eight months winter and four months bad skating weather! There but for the grace of God and all that......

No comments: